Thursday 21 May 2015

Paper.

I previously ordered a Hahnemule paper sample pack online so I could test out their papers before I went ahead with my portfolio printing.
Please see my sample book for examples of the prints.

The first paper I test printed was the Matt Fibre 200gsm.
I honestly thought this was a disaster. Matte is definitely not the finish most appropriate for my portfolio. The blacks in my images look grey and there seems to be little depth in my autumn example image of the left hand side of the page.

The next paper was the Matt Fibre Duo 210gsm.
An advantage to using this paper is that I would have been able to print double sided saving myself money on paper and space in my portfolio.
I found this paper to be very similar to the Matt Fibre, the only difference being that it was the tiniest bit warmer.

Photo Silk Baryta 210gsm
I quite liked this paper as the colours were punchy and the blacks were very black but I found the finish far too glossy and the texture was very distracting.

Photo Lustre 260gsm
I really like this paper. The texture is fine, the colours and the blacks are very punchy and the finish is great for my kind of work,

Photo pearl 310gsm
I also really like this paper. It is extremely similar to the Photo Lustre but what I like better about this paper is that the weight of it actually feels like a photograph and not a flimsy piece of paper. The texture is even finer with this paper too, its less distracting.

Photo Glossy 260gsm.
I hate this paper hands down. The finish looks cheap and unprofessional. The images scuffed before they had even come out of the printer which worries me about how fragile the paper is.

No comments:

Post a Comment