Sunday 12 April 2015

Key Characteristics of my chosen practice area.


  • Fashion
  • Styling
  • Photography
  • Studio lighting
  • Organisation.
  • Retouching
I would say that the above bullet points are the key points that go into my chosen area of practice.
Fashion and styling are key because in order to create the fresh and eye catching editorial style images that I want to create, I have to pay attention to what fashion trends are current and pleasing to the majority of my audiences eyes. Styling is an important role that I participate in as there are limit local stylists to collaborate with. Studio lighting and technical skill is key in my field of work as I shoot mainly in studio's using Bowens lighting equipment as my source of light. I feel as though my skill with lighting has improved greatly and hopefully will continue on improving. Lighting is key because different styles of lighting communicate different types of feelings in images. Organisation is probably the most time consuming element of my entire practice. It is essential to running a smooth photoshoot. I have to manage a team successfully, ensure everybody knows where everything is, everyone is booked in etc etc. The photography element speaks for itself in relation to my chosen practice. I can't create the images I need to without my camera, eye for design and technical skill. Retouching is key in my area of practice as all my images need to be completed to a high professional standard and retouching is the final step in doing this.
Suitable job roles for key aspects - 

Organisation - Production manager, being part of a production team, an agent.
Studio Lighting - Assisting a photographer, becoming a director, being a photographer.
Photography - Being a photographer or Assisting one.
Styling - Becoming a stylist, a hair stylist, a makeup artists, an assistant of any of these or an assistant to a photographer. 
Fashion - Becoming a fashion styling or their assistant, working in an agency.
Retouching - working through an agency, freelance or for a specific photographer.

The only example of a defined progression route into a job role would be working your way to the top through assisting photographers. Starting out with smaller roles and then meeting the right kind of people and making connections that help you to assist the larger known photographers and get extra work for your own portfolio. As for all the other roles, specifically if I were to go into styling of any kind, I would need to take courses in hair styling and makeup in order to know the technical skill that would gain me work in that field. For the organisation job roles, having experience of managing a team would help to secure the job in a production team when applying for work at an agency or at a studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment