Tuesday 28 April 2015

Plastic Sandwich Visit


I have recently taken the time to make an appointment with the people at Plastic Sandwich HQ in London. They showed me around all their different leathers and showed me options that they do not have on their websites too. I really liked their deep green, navy and burgundy/red options but these colours would not work against the multitude of colours that my portfolio offers. I had originally gone into the office with the idea that I would order a grey portrait orientated 11x14inch portfolio and pay for it there and then. But once I had been shown the colour of the grey and the white option I was spoilt for choice. They grey was alot darker than I had thought it would be and the white option caught me completely off guard as I had struck it off the options list as I was scared of it getting dirty.

I went away that weekend and seriously considered which colour was best for my portfolio and eventually decided on the white. While I was at Plastic Sandwich I voiced my concerns about the colour being damaged and she showed me a white portfolio that had been passed around thousands of people at a photography show very recently and it was almost spotless! I was so impressed that with a little bit of lighter fluid and carefullness you can preserve a white portfolio so well. With this in mind I ordered my portfolio with sleeves instead of binding. I have chosen sleeves because I like the idea of preserving the prints inside. I have less control over how dirty the outside of the book gets but I can exert my control over the inside. Many people have voiced their concerns about sleeves expressing that they're too glossy or 'so 2006' but this option suits my portfolio better because I can slip images in and out easily. I don't have to worry about binding tear sheets as I do plan to have them in my portfolio eventually as I am a fashion portrait photographer and showcasing my publications is very important to me.
This way, when the sleeves crease I can buy new ones without having to re-print, this is also a great option because of how it saves on budget.

I'm very happy with my choice and I think it suits my professional practice perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment