Saturday 1 November 2014

Current Portraits.


Rankin

This image was created through the use of studio lighting and probably a studio backdrop as the everything looks a little bit too flat to be shot outside with the sky behind. There is a light on either side of the model, the left hand side light has less intensity so that slight shadows are left doen the models nose and neck. 
This shot would have been created with the intention of selling the garments worn in the image or to promote a brand. The shot would come under the genres of advertising and fashion.
I think the shot is relevant to my practice as it is a visual representation of a career path that I would be happy to take.
I think the production behind this image is what would be most relevant to my own current practice. Working with a team of stylists and assistants with a brief in mind. I think there are some strong historical links in this image as the pale shapes made by the models angular arms remind me of the fashion orientated images that Guy Bourdin might have created. The styling of the image is also very 1950's and has a chic housewife feel to the shot.


Pascal Demeester

This shot is shot in a studio with what looks like a single light source to the right of the models face. It looks as though it is angled just above the models head as the shadow beneath her nose is off to one side. The image will have been retouched to the standard of beauty photography. It was probably created for a brand of hair product or makeup. It would be featured in a magazine an editorial series of images or used in the advertising and promoting of the products. I think the lighting in this image is very appropriate to my own practice as despite the fact that the technique is very simple its also quite atmospheric. As I have explored the idea of beauty photography in my project it is also relevant to that aspect of my work too.
The model is very pale and dainty and reminds me of Jean Louis Marie Eugène Durieu's nude photography. This is because, despite the images being created for different purposes the both hold similar tonalities and soft feelings to the images.
Jean Louis Marie Eugène Durieu



Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott
This photograph is shot in a studio and lit from above probably using a beauty dish. I imagine there is also a fill light to help fill in some of the shadows under her nose and jaw. This shot will have been created with the intention of advertising for the actress who is modelling and for exposure and sales of the brands of clothing she is wearing. This shot flourishes in advertisement and editorial. This shot is very relevant to my practice as it is the front page of a very well known magazine which is what my preferred career route would involve. The portrait is very striking and shows alot of attitude which is something I have been trying to portray in my own work. I think if I added a gel into the fill light this lighting technique could work for my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment