Tuesday 25 November 2014

Potential career routes

Possible career routes open to me -

  • An assistant - A supportive role that is essential on a shoot.
  • Digital assistant - Working with the computer side of things on a shoot
  • Studio Manager - Providing a space for a shoot that involves planning and attention to detail
  • Location Scout - Finding locations/times of day for photography shoots.
  • Health and Safety operative - Ensuring a space is safe to work in
  • Stylist - From choosing outfits work, directing hair/makeup to helping design sets
  • Hair/Makeup artist - Paying attention to detail
  • Set builder - Constructing the set on which the shoot will be shot
  • Retoucher - Correcting/changing images in post production
  • Producer - Putting together all the elements that makes a shoot
  • Agent  - Selling work and forming connections
  • Picture Researcher - Industry knowledge and connections
  • Picture Editor - Advanced skills picture researcher
  • Art Buyer - Knows what is hot and what is not.
  • Art Director - Creative eye, desires astonishment
  • Not forgetting an actual photographer.
Career routes that interest me and that are available to me now:

  • A photographer.
  • An assistant - A supportive role that is essential on a shoot.
  • Digital assistant - Working with the computer side of things on a shoot
  • Retoucher - Correcting/changing images in post production

I have alot of experience working with clients so naturally being a photographer would be my first choice. Employed or freelance as long as I can support myself. I frequently travel and communicate in person, over the phone and via email to ensure that my clients are getting what they need. Working as a photographer there are alot of great opportunities open to me like meeting new clients through other clients, being asked to assist other photographers, helping out with retouching. It is a little bit like a chain reaction as when you're working in the creative industry there are always options open to you.

In the past when emailing photographers I have always offered my assistance to them. I frequently assist class mates so I do have appropriate experience for becoming an assistant.

With knowledge of photoshop and a Capture One qualification under my belt, becoming a digital assistant or retoucher would be a definite possible option.

The role of becoming an art director would become available to me through an agency - through either applying for an advertised role or working my way up through the industry. I think this option would work for me as while assisting in the past I have always been asked for my feedback while shooting and helped direct shoots along with the editing process.

Potential creative agencies to work with -
http://www.idagency.com/
http://www.rpmltd.com/
and many others that work with big names such as Pepsi, Ford and Nescafe.
While advertising photography is not my forte, it is something that if I qualified for the job I would take on as a career path as it involves alot of portrait photography which is what I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment